Recipe: True Aussie Beef Lemongrass Skewers with Asian Noodle Salad
As the weather gets warmer we wanted to explore different ways we can bring brightness to a steak dish. Skewers bring a really fun aspect to a meal with family and friends and paired with this zingy, fresh asian noodle salad, it's tasty and nutritious at the same time!
For this recipe we prepared beautiful Australian Wagyu Topside into ribbon strips, which are ideal for threading onto your choice of skewers. When using Grassfed or Angus beef, we recommend marinating for longer and making sure you cook to medium rare so that when it's time to eat, the carryover cooking will end the skewers at a medium doneness.
A bunch of simple and easy to find ingredients are essential for this recipe like lemongrass, ginger, bell peppers, onions, asian cabbage, peanuts, fish sauce, sesame oil, rice stick noodles and garlic.
Marinade the beef with blended lemongrass and ginger, garlic, black pepper and sweetener of choice (we used agave syrup). Cover with cling film and set aside or chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
Prepare the noodles for the salad by pouring hot water over the rice stick noodles until soft. They should be really soft so taste before draining and running the noodles over cold water to stop the noodles from cooking further.
Prepare the dressing for the salad by blending lime juice, red chili, brown sugar and fish sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required. Should be an awesome refreshing mix of sweet, salty, spicy and sour!
Add chopped vegetables to the cooked noodles and pour in the dressing and toss!
Thread the beef onto the skewers by pushing the sticks through one end of the strips and curling to thread the rest of the strip at the top, then pull towards the other end of the skewer to spread the strip evenly. Tip: for wooden skewers soak them for at least 30 mins or if using metal skewers, oil them with an oil-dipped paper towel to prevent the meat from sticking.
Cook the skewers on a hot grill pan, skillet or your widest saucepan! Option to also omit the skewers if you can't fit them on the pan.
Transfer the skewers to plates as well as the noodle salad! Garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT 👇
THE RECIPE: TRUE AUSSIE BEEF LEMONGRASS SKEWERS WITH ASIAN NOODLE SALAD
For the Skewers
- 600g Australian Wagyu Topside, sliced into satay ribbons
- 2 sticks lemongrass
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp honey/agave syrup, sugar or any sweetener you prefer
For the Salad
- Hot boiling water
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 1 pack Asian Vermicelli noodles
- Mint, basil and coriander leaves
- Grated carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Chopped roasted peanuts and coriander to garnish
For the Dressing
- 1 red chili
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- Using a pestle and mortar or blender, blitz lemongrass and ginger together until combined.
- In a bowl, add topside slices, lemongrass, fish sauce, black pepper and sweetener of choice. Cover and set aside while you prepare the salad.
- In a flat dish, pour enough boiling water to cover the noodles.
- Make the dressing by blending red chili, garlic, lime juice, sugar and fish sauce.
- Once the noodles are cooked, drain and transfer to a large salad bowl and add in herbs, carrot, bell pepper and onion. Toss in the dressing.
- Thread the topside onto wooden skewers soaked in water or metal skewers coated with oil and grill on a hot pan for 2-3 mins each side. Cook to medium for best results.
- Transfer skewers to plate and serve with noodle salad. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and enjoy!
Leave a comment